There's a story idea that I've been kicking around for a few weeks I've got the brief pitch of the concept in my head, and I've got some ideas of things that happen along the way - but there is a lot to fill in and figure out still.
WaPo hears recording of Trump and croneys pressuring Georgia's Raffensperger to change election in his favor
It's harder and harder to imagine that this country survives if we simply forgive this White House and all who supported this blatant attempt to undermine the electoral process.
Shawn Kemp talks weed and the white dominance of the cannabis industry
A great financial process for people looking to take control of their finances
Written by a friend and coworker of mine, Bill is one of my go-to financial guys when I have questions and this post from 2016 (which he re-shared and reminded me of today) is a great primer for folks looking for a step by step tutorial on how to drive your finances.
A collection of quotes from by Kevin Kelly through 2020 and shared in their email newsetter Recomendo
- If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together. — Robin Jones Gunn
- A foreign accent is a sign of bravery. — Amy Chua
- To know what you're going to draw, you have to begin drawing. — Picasso
- The reward for good work is more work. — Tom Sachs
- The invention of the ship was also the invention of the shipwreck. — Paul Virilio
- If all I'd ever wanted to do was make money, I'd probably be really poor by now. — Brian Eno
- Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment. — Rumi
- On average, bad things happen fast and good things happen slow. — Stewart Brand
- What I cannot create, I do not understand. — Richard Feynman
- Find out who you are and do it on purpose. — Dolly Parton
I've spent much of today forcing myself to not acknowledge that tomorrow my 2-week end-of-year break comes to an end. It's a definite perk of working for Wizards, and something I deeply enjoy as a chance to recharge after the year's work for the company. Obviously with Covid, it is a bit different. I'm not going into the office, tomorrow morning I'll be opening a different laptop - that's the difference.
Aside from my workday, I've also got a few new ideas for Glowbug's development this week:
- Modify the morning tweet - Namely, I want to add some post headlines to attract readers
- Add domains in visible text for people scanning links, not sure the right way for me to do this yet (template structure?) - This comes from my own desire for it to be default behavior for browsers and sites to do this. I am much more interested in following a link to a reputable site than I am to some random content farm.
- Restructure templating engine to unify processing. Right now there are basically four code segments that generate the index, the date pages, the date index, and the individual entry pages. In truth, all of those should be parsable by the same template processor code. Along with that will come making smart template creation & updates.
But, with that said, and with the return of real work - my time to fiddle with Glowbug will diminish. So we will see when I get to each of these items.
📧 Daily Newsletter
Get an email with the day's links and posts delivered to your inbox! Sign up here.